Monday, August 01, 2005

English vs Bahasa

I wrote this blog in English cause I feel I could express myself better in English. Perhaps it's stem mostly from the fact that when I try to express myself in Bahasa Indonesia, it usually sucks. And it's easier to write in English. That's the truth. English lets you get away with things you wouldn't said in Bahasa Indonesia.

I can give you an example. Let's take a quote from a Bryan Adams song. "Everything I do, I'd do it for you". compare it to the Bahasa version("Semua yang kulakukan, kulakukan untukmu"), it just doesn't have the same 'gravitas' as the English one. Try to say those line in front of a girl, then tell me which one has the best result.

I'm not saying my command in English is so good that I converse in English all the time. Far from it. I still talks in Bahasa Indonesia. It's just when I had to write it, whether posting on this blog, or perhaps postings on forums, I'm more comfortable using English.

That's why I always admire people who have the way with words in Bahasa Indonesia, cause I find difficult writing cool and concise lines in that.

Indonesian poet, writers, songwriters, hats off to you *bow*

7 Comments:

At 4:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

But C, I think you should use "Bahasa Indonesia", "Indonesian" or "Indonesian languange" instead of "Bahasa".

So you see, literal meaning of "Bahasa" is "Language" which means "the system of sounds, symbols, etc. for communicating thought". It doesn't refer to the language used by Indonesian people, but refers to any languge in the world.

This misconception derived when foreigners (or particularly, Westerners) try to shortened "Bahasa Indonesia" into "Bahasa" only .
KOMPAS has also wrote about this.
But since we're Indonesian and we know the meaning of "Bahasa", I think we should correct it's usage.

I also protest my EF school when they open "Bahasa course" :p

 
At 5:55 AM, Blogger Chafid said...

Ah.. I stand corrected. I just remember, the first time I heard anyone use "Bahasa" for "Bahasa Indonesia" is Sarah Sechan at MTV Indonesia waayyy back. So I kinda thought that's the way the foreigners refer it.

Bah.. never thought I get tricked to believe anything MTV said.

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger serenity said...

There are correct things and there are much simple things the winner usually the later. FYI, the whole office bules now referring Indonesian language as Bahasa, because it is simple using one syllable than it is two. One bule who happen to be speaking advance indonesian start wondering whether it is correct referring Bahasa Indonesia as Bahasa alone, he is right that he is wrong.

Still.

Things could get very much confusing. Are we not still singing Endonesia instead of Indonesia? Language is not something that you can nail to the wall and stick to it. It moves, it changes.. as time goes by.

 
At 3:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do agree that language changes.

But for this case, it is a simple logic.

And my editor, a British Lady, still uses "Indonesian" and "Bahasa Indonesia", not "Bahasa".

 
At 4:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

gue iseng aja nih, mo translate "Everything I do, I do it for you".. enaknya gimana ya.. mm.. "Semua yang gue lakukan tuh cuma buat loe".. di tipi2 kayaknya gitu deh.. :D sinetron banget.. :">

atau yang puitis dikit "aku melakukan segala sesuatu hanya demi kamu, bukan yang lain" ihiyyy dangduuuttt.. hihihi

~dian95

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger serenity said...

stan, never said it was correct - it is a shorter sentence though. Dian terjemahannya everything i do, i do it for you adalah untukmu segalanya, kalau tidak salah lagunya sudah ada dan di pakai untuk kompetisi internasional *wink*

 
At 6:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Imagine if you are accompanying a so-called bule. He uses “bahasa” to refer to Indonesian language. You, in order to make things easier, also use that, although you know that it’s not the correct usage and doesn’t have a logical meaning.
One day, he finds out that there are also “bahasa Jawa”, “bahasa Minang”, “bahasa Sunda”, even “bahasa Inggris” and “bahasa Prancis”.
And he asks you “So, the word ‘bahasa’ is referring to language in general? Not only Indonesian language?”, you nod your head and he asks again “Then, how come you are using that to refer to your own language? Don’t you know the meaning of the word in your own language?”
That Indonesian people will doubly ashamed.

Should we accept a misconception that is becoming a common practice? Even if it doesn’t have a logical meaning?

If they want to choose a shorter word than “Bahasa Indonesia”, use “Indonesian”.
It’s easier and correct.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home