Wednesday, July 02, 2003

My Top 7 Album


The title says it all


1. The Police : Greatest Hits
This is the first album that I bought, and I quickly fell in love with this band. At first I just felt like buying something, and pick this album randomly. I know about Every Breath You Take, but after this album, I realize they have some amazing songs like Wrapped Around Your Finger, Tea In Sahara, Walking On The Moon, King Of Pain. Probably my favorite band of all time.


2. Phil Collins : But Seriously
Collins best album up to now IMO, full of great songs, from Another Day In Paradise, Find A Way To My Heart, Father to Son. Throughly deserve the Grammy for Album Of The Year in 1994.


3. Sting - Ten Summoners Tales
One of Sting's masterpiece, from the soothing Fields Of Gold, to the catchy Nothin' Bout Me. I like this album mostly because most of his songs have happier tunes and more colorful, than the dark and gloomy Soul Cages.


4. Sting - Nothing Like The Sun
You guess it, I'm a Sting fan... Here, Sting goes jazz, the kind of music that he really likes since his childhood. This second solo album was really a revelation that really set him apart from the Police kind of music that still apparent on his first. His backup band is really something and they have some reputation in the jazz world like Kenny Kirkland and Branford Marsalis. Songs like Lazarus Heart, Rock Steady, Little Wing ( best version since Hendrix) are some of Sting's masterpiece up to now.


5. Yourself Or Someone Like You - Matchbox 20
Matchbox 20 (now matchbox twenty, all lower case) debut album really rocks!. This album is the one that really hooked me to this modern rock genre. Great melody and lyrics, and the way Rob Thomas sing, really made the listeners felt the emotion of the song. I like most of the songs on this album, not only Push, the album biggest hit, but also songs like Long Day, Girl Like That, and Hang are really good songs.


6. Crash - Dave Matthews Band
This is the ultimate album for me. After hearing Crash, I got really curious about this band. And after got the album and listening to the whole album, they didn't disappoint me. This is THE best DMB album for me. From Matthews excellent performance on the accoustic guitar, backed with Carter Beauford on drums, Leroi Moore on sax, Boyd Tinsley on the violin and Stefan Lessard on bass, this band from Charlotte succesfully living up to the expectation that comes from their first hit major label album Under The Table and Dreaming. Highlights of the album includes Crash Into Me, #41, Two Step, Lie In Our Graves, Tripping Billies, Too Much, and the rest of the song in the album.


7. Room For Squares - John Mayer
This young singer/songwriter/musician, really hit the peak this year. Winning the grammy for Best Pop Performance for Male Artist for the song, Your Body Is A Wonderland. He caught my attention when one of my friend mention that he sound a bit like Dave Matthews. I got curious, and after listening to his first single from his debut album Room For Squares, No Such Thing, my first impression is he sounds like Matthews. But after a while, I realize that Mayer has his own style that set him apart from Matthews. His lyrics is honest and really "connect" to the listener feelings. Not only from the lyrics, he's one hell of a guitar player too. His songs sounds simple but, they're really hard to play. I like all the songs on this album, No Such Thing, Love Songs For No One, My Stupid Mouth is my favorite on this album.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home